Lake Ontario Trout & Salmon Association (LOTSA)
LOTSA is a Not-For-Profit group of mainly weekend recreational fishermen who are dedicated to the enhancement and promotion of the Lake Ontario Sport-Fishery. LOTSA places a heavy emphasis on Education including recruiting new Anglers to the Lake Ontario Fishery and providing continual Education opportunities for the experienced Anglers.
LOTSA meetings are held on the 2nd Thursday of certain months (see events below) at 7:00 p.m. at the North Amherst Fire Company, 2200 Tonawanda Creek Rd, Amherst, NY 14228 and usually feature an informational seminar on a particular topic relating to the Lake Ontario fishery. Each meeting also features a sharing of information on the current fishing conditions. Get Directions >>
Latest Club News & Happenings
Attention, The General Membership Meetings will be held at 7pm at the North Amherst Fire Company, 2200 Tonawanda Creek Rd, Amherst, NY 14228
Thursday April 11 – Early Spring King Techniques with Captain Damian Kuzmin
Thursday May 9 – “At the Dock’ talking Kings with Captain Bob Stevens at Wilson
Thursday June 13 – June Transition Fishing Techniques with Captain Paul Czarnecki
Thursday July 11- Western Basin Summertime Kings with Captain Larry Wills
Thursday September 12 – Season Wrap Up Roundtable with multiple LOTSA Captains
Thursday December 12 – Annual Christmas Party
16th Annual LOTSA King Salmon Tournaments & Free Picnic July 20
9th Annual Curt Meddaugh Memorial Free Tournament Friday July 19
Salmon Pen Rearing Program: April at Olcott (Newfane Marina).
SEMINARS & GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS:
On Thursday April 11 at 7pm, the Lake Ontario Trout & Salmon Association (LOTSA) will be sponsoring a Seminar by Capt. Damian Kuzmin on early spring King Salmon techniques. Damian has been fishing for King Salmon on Lake Ontario since the early 1980s. He currently fishes out of the port of Wilson NY, fishing primarily the western end of the lake both in NY and Canadian waters. He has had good success chartering and also tournament fishing using the knowledge he has gained through the years spent on the lake. His love and knowledge of the fishery has led him to be President and co-owner of Bay Rat Lures. In 2011 he along with his partner decided to come up a better lure to improve their catch rate. They started in his basement making lures and soon the word got out how well the lures were working and the demand for them took off. In 2014 they started the company now known today as the Bay Rat Lure Co. The lures have become one of the hottest Brown Trout and King Salmon lures used by many charter captains and top tournament teams. Damian will be there to discuss his techniques and answer any questions you may have on how to put more fish in your box.
LOTSA is a group of mainly weekend recreational fishermen who are dedicated to the enhancement of the Lake Ontario Sport-Fishery including the pen rearing project at Olcott. Each meeting also features a sharing of information the current fishing conditions. So come join us and become more successful at fishing Lake Ontario!
The dates of our meetings are listed below. They begin at 7pm at the North Amherst Fire Company, 2200 Tonawanda Creek Rd, Amherst, NY 14228. Please note May 9th meeting is in Wilson at Bootleggers Cove Marina.
LOTSA “Tournaments within a Tournament, free for LOTSA Members”
Spring LOC Derby $1000 Cash Largest Salmon 5/10 – 5/19
Summer LOC Derby $500 Cash Largest Salmon 6/29 – 7/28
Fish Odyssey $700 Cash Largest Salmon 8/17 – 8/25
Fall LOC Derby $500 Cash Largest Salmon 8/16 – 9/02
Great Niagara Fishing Show
The LOTSA Officers and Board of Directors would like to Thank everyone who helped to make the Greater Niagara Fishing & Outdoor Expo successful again this year. Despite the worse weather we have had by far since 14 years ago when we started the show in the 4H building in Lockport, the Exhibitors all made it to the show and many hardy fishermen braved the elements to attend and enjoy all that it had to offer.
We would thank the following for making this a success:
1. Pete Alex, Andy Bliss and Matt Yablonsky for continuing the tradition of delivering a high quality Salmon School to a sold out crowd of 170 students. Those who attended are looking forward to tweaking their 2019 Salmon program with what they learned from Pete, Andy and Matt.
2. The many LOTSA volunteers that helped with the LOTSA Booth on the floor, delivered some seminars, worked with the Salmon School instructors to build the Salmon School and take registrations, helped out at the Meet & Greet & Friday evening along with everything from check in to cleanup for the School on Saturday. Just like they do for Pen Rearing, these Volunteers are one of the reasons we all are able to enjoy the Lake Ontario King Fishery!
3. The Conference & Event Center for managing the operations of the whole show, providing attendees with the opportunity to attend a huge amount of Free Fishing Education, hosting the Salmon School Meet & Greet, providing attendees with a “state of the art” room to deliver the Salmon School in along with and excellent lunch, advertising the Salmon School and booking most of the top Lake Ontario related Trout & Salmon manufacturers as Exhibitors in the Event Center.
4. The Lake Ontario Trout & Salmon oriented manufacturers who support the Lake Ontario fishing community by Exhibiting at the show, talking with us about their latest gear, delivering seminars and offering us show pricing either directly or thru their retail outlets at who are also Exhibitors at the Show.
5. This year’s Salmon School Product Sponsors which contributed to the student bags and associated raffles (including raising funds for Pen Rearing) . A big shout out to these folks. Some are new and some have been very loyal sponsors of the school year after year. We cannot thank them enough.
Register or Renew your LOTSA membership as well as view the current LOTSA Membership list.
A fun tournament with simple rules that encourages family participation & promotion of the fishery.
Below you will find a collection of links that the members of LOTSA have found useful, educational and entertaining over the years.
- Officers & Board of Directors
- LOTSA Facebook Page
- At the Oak
- Lake Ontario United
- Olcott Fishing
- Fish Odyssey
- Bill Hilts’ Fishfinder
- Greater Niagara Outdoor Expo
- Bill Hilts Jr. Outdoor Beat TV
- Lake Ontario Buoy Data Map
- Olcott Harbor Web Cam
- Sandy Creek Web Cam
- LOC Leaderboard
- Marine Forecast Niagara to Sodus
- Marine Forecase Niagara to Hamlin
- Lake Ontario Surface Currents
- Lake Ontario Suface Temp
- Satellite View – Lake Ontario
- Satellite View – Lake Erie
If you would like to see additional links added to this section, please let us know. We will be happy to review the suggested link with the board for inclusion.
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers... "
– Herbert Hoover
Sunny. Temps nearly steady in the mid to upper 30s. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Partly cloudy skies. High 49F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.
A steady rain in the morning. Showers continuing in the afternoon. High near 50F. Winds SSW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
Cloudy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High around 45F. Winds light and variable.
Periods of rain. High 52F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a half an inch.
Cloudy skies. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.
Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. High 39F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph.
Come on, Join Us!
We are always looking for new members. Young, old, amateur or pro – consider joining us!